Sunday, May 12, 2013

Fujifilm X100s, low light, ISO 6400 capabilities!

Man, do I love this camera? Oh yes, as much as one can love a mechanical thing that makes pictures. Yesterday my wife and me celebrated our 10 years together at a nearby restaurant. Not too much light, and I took some pictures of her with my Fufilm X100s, the settings were f/2.0, shutter 1/35, iso 6400. I took both RAW and JPG's together. Frankly, the jpgs look like shit, too much noise reduction even with the camera set to -2 NR. The skin looks like plastic, and no details in the brick wall behind my wife. The raw files.. oh man. Good. Of course there's some noise at iso 6400, but still, it's more like film grain - but only if you use a program outside Lightroom to do your sharpening! Lightroom 4.4 itself introduces the water color effects even with just a little sharpening put on. So, I used Nik Pro Sharpener 3.0, which easily works with Lightroom. Remember to set your raw file to zero sharpening in LR before opening in Nik software, or else you'll get water color artifacts with Nik too.
Here's a shot from yesterday, raw file developed in LR 4.4, sharpened in Nik. The reduced size doesn't really bring justice to the camera or the Nik Pro Sharpener. See below for my details.


For a more in study comparison with Nik and Lightroom and SOOC jpg's, head over to this thread at DPReview forum.


Here's another picture from the restaurant. Rawfile processed in Lightroom 4.4 and sharpened in Nik Pro Sharpener 3.0. Camera settings: f/2.0 @ 1/35 sec, ISO 6400!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.